Media pitching workshop
Improve your media pitches through practice and coaching. You’ll learn to get journalists' attention, overcome your nerves and sell your stories effectively.
Your phone and email media pitches are guaranteed to be more effective after this course. Whether you’ve been pitching stories for a while or are about to start your first sell-in, spending a day with our pitching coaches will give you the tactics and confidence you need to get better results from media pitches.
You’ll look at phone and email pitches from both the journalist and PR point of view, so you know what makes a winning pitch.
Our coaches create a comfortable and private space where you can practise pitching without fear of failing or looking stupid. We’ll teach you how to come up with excellent media pitches and improve your phone pitching style through practice with a journalist.
What you’ll learn
Plan excellent pitches
- Come up with strong stories and angles
- Craft irresistible stories for your target audience
- Choose the right structure for relevant publications
- Choosing the best times and communication channels
Pitch writing skills
- How to write subject lines that get your email opened
- Write brilliant introductions and strong calls to action
- How to keep pitches short and to the point
Phone pitching skills
- Deliver a compelling story quickly
- Build rapport over the phone
- Close the pitch and follow up
- Dealing with your nerves
- Working with difficult journalists
- Dealing with rejection and negative reactions
The learning experience
Pitching to the media is tough in real life, but we’re here to set you up for success gently. While sharpening your pitching style, the workshop is designed to motivate you and increase your confidence, so expect an active, supportive and fun learning experience. You’ll be writing email pitches, working in small groups and pitching stories over the phone.
Who attends this course?
- PR practitioners of all levels
- Marketing communications people
- Digital marketers crossing over to PR
- Freelance PR consultants
After the course
You’ll get a certificate, notes from the course, something useful resources and tools to present to your colleagues and a two-week check-in from your trainer to make sure you remember the most important points.
Private courses for your team
We can run this workshop within your company, for any group of four or more. Contact us on 020 7164 6405 to find out exactly how we can improve your team’s pitches in a day.